Free Shipping Included! Tamahagane SAN Stainless Steel Laminated Wood Carving Fork, 6-Inch by Tamahagane at Butternut Squash Restaurant. MPN: SN1122B. Hurry! Limited time offer. Offer valid only while supplies last. ABOUT TAMAHAGANETamahagane knives are manufactured by Kataoka and Company in Niigata, Japan. The word tamahagane means precious steel. Historically,
Product Description & Reviews
Tamahagane knives are manufactured by Kataoka and Company in Niigata, Japan. The word tamahagane means precious steel. Historically, the word tamahagane has been known as a particular, very pure and high-quality steel produced using traditional Japanese techniques. Today, Kataoka uses Tamahagane as the brand name for the exceptional knives it makes from similar quality steels produced using modern techniques. With their unsurpassed sharpness and edge retention, these knives are definitely precious steel.
The SAN range of Tamahagane knives features 3 ply stainless steel construction. The core or middle layer is V-G No.5. This layer is very hard and acts as the cutting edge. The two outside layers are made of SUS410 stainless steel. The outside layers are softer and more stain resistant than the cutting edge and actually protect the cutting edge.
Features & Highlights
- The 3-ply stainless steel has an original thickness of 20 mm and is thinned by repeated rolling to a thickness of 2 mm. You might want to look at this rolling process as a modern forging technique. Also, this rolling process removes all the impurities in the steel leaving you with a very hard, very pure stainless steel.
- After the rolling processes, the V-G No. 5 cutting edge reaches a hardness of 58-60 degrees on the Rockwell scale and a final thickness of .65 mm. The outside layers each reach a thickness of .675 mm. There are several different VG stainless steels. Kataoka selected V-G No. 5 stainless steel for the SAN knives, because V-G No. 5 can be hardened as hard as any of the other V-G steels but has superior edge retention.
- Using scientific testing equipment (CATRA), Kataoka was able to show that their knives stayed sharper longer than knives made from other VG steels. The edge on the SAN knives is a minute, beveled edge. The angle of the edge is between 14 and 15 degrees. To appreciate the quality of the edge, you must first look at its incredible mirror polish and then try cutting with it.
- Kataoka has achieved the perfect balance between sharpness and strength with the SAN edge. The SAN knives are balanced with a stainless steel weight which attaches to the tang and is visible at the heel of the handle. Not only does this add to the beauty of the SAN design, it also creates fantastic balance.
- The handle is made of a rich, dark laminated wood. The handle shape is distinctive yet classic. The handle fits very comfortably in the hand. It gives you the tradition and warmth of wood without an exposed metal tang that can sometimes cause discomfort.
Meat & Carving Forks
4 x 4 x 16 inches
Have questions about this item, or would like to inquire about a custom or bulk order?
If you have any questions about this product by Tamahagane, contact us by completing and submitting the form below. If you are looking for a specif part number, please include it with your message.
mpn: D096/18, ean: 4006214519679,
About Güde The production of the finest possible handcrafted, forged cutlery is and always has been the driving philosophy of our company. For four generations the Güde family has neither compromised on nor wavered from this credo. Today Güde is p...
By Kini Kai
mpn: TDM-1709, ean: 4901601310481,
The Shun Premier Tim MÃlzer series offers from bread knife to Santoku professional cutting tools, which establish new standards in the Premium segment thanks to its high functionality in a timeless design. True to Tim MÃlzer, "A good knife, not onl...
mpn: 23154, ean: 0849430012586,
Soma Lugged Crmo Cross Fork 700C 1-1/8" BlackLugged Cross fork to match the Double Cross Cyclo-Cross frames. Lugged crown with Tange CrMo construction. Features eyelets for front rack and braze-ons for low-rider panniers. 44mm rake. ...
mpn: DC05/2, ean: 8003299959112,
Alessi DC05/2 Santiago, Table fork in 18/10 stainless steel mirror polished. Designer: David Chipperfield.Designer: David Chipperfield. Dishwasher safe. Part of a full range of cutlery - Tonale. ...